A former Dean of Law at the University of Uyo, Mr. Udombana recently in an interview said that the poor standard of education in Nigeria's higher institutions is not a function of the university alone but that of the faulty admission policy that has been used for a long time now.
According to him, the admission policy has not been merit-based as it has allowed students who fall below mark to be admitted.
“For instance, the admission policy during the past two decades has not
been merit-based. Under the current policy as coordinated by the Joint
Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, admission on merit is only 45
percent of the totality of admission into any faculty".
“This means that if a department is to admit, for instance a hundred
students, only 45 will be admitted on the basis of hierarchical score
from the UME and Post UME examinations,” he remarked.
He also pointed to students being admitted on the basis of educationally
disadvantage states, federal character principle and catchment areas
for admission as another reason for the poor educational standard as the
introduction of such criteria has brought in mediocrity considering the
fact that students admitted on such basis lacks what it takes to cope
with the demands of learning.
He however, called for the convocation of a national summit on education
that will bring stakeholders together to deliberate on the issues
posing challenges to the education sector and proffer solutions.
ENGLISH & NEWS LINK
- POEMS PAGE
- African Poetic Analysis
- Non-African Poetic Analysis
- English Idiom You Must Know
- HOW TO STUDY
- WAEC Literature Syllabus 2016-2020
- Read The Summary Of The Purple Hibiscus
- READ THE BEST POEMS ON OUR POEM and e-LIBRARY
- 2016 JAMB REGISTRATION
- READ THE FAMOUS NOVELS
- JAMB: Answer these 26 possible questions from Last Days at Forcados High School
- LEARN ENGLISH IDEOMS
- JAMB SUBJECTS ON EACH COURSE
- Figures of Speech ( stylistic devices )
- Overall summary of the Potter’s Wheel by Chukwuemeka Ike and The Successors by Jerry Adaga
- EDUCATION TIPS
- LIST OF NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES/POLYTECHNIC AND THEIR CURRENT SCHOOL FEES
- CLICK TO ENTER NEUB EXAMS CLASS ROOM
- Read Literature Objectives Questions and Answers
- Biology Objectives Questions And Answers
- JAMB CBT Possible Questions On Commerce
- The Possible Questions From The Last Days at Forcados High School You Must Know
- Characters In The Book "Last Days at Forcados High School"
- CLICK TO READ GOVERNMENT PASS QUESTIONS HERE
- CLICK TO READ PHYSICS PASS QUESTIONS
- CLICK TO READ C.R.K PASS QUESTIONS
- READ ECONOMICS PASS QUESTIONS
- READ ENGLISH PASS QUESTIONS AND ANWERS
- READ GEOGRAHY PASS QUESTIONS AND ANWERS
- CLICK TO READ CHEMISTRY PASS QUESTIONS