Each year, up to four scientists will receive up to a maximum award of US$50,000 each to cover tuition fees, travel and living expenses.
This scholarship fund will either take place at the Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan or at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), London, UK.
Candidates applying for a Scholarship at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) must:
- Be of African nationality and normally be resident in sub-Saharan Africa, be
fluent in English.
- If the applicant’s first language is not English. Applicants must take and pass one of the approved internet-based tests (IELTS, TOEFL or a Pearson Test of English).
- Applicants must have a first or second upper class BSc degree or equivalent from an established university in a relevant area of science (a medical degree is not essential).
- Applicants must have at least two years’ prior research experience in an area relevant to the study of infectious diseases.
Applicants applying for scholarship at Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan (NEKKEN) must:
- Be of African nationality and normally be resident in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Be fluent in English.
- Have obtained an MB ChB or equivalent medical qualification from a recognised university.
- Have at least two years of clinical experience following graduation, have the support of the head of their institution for undertaking their chosen course.
Applicants should follow these steps to apply for the ALN Scholarship.
1) Applicants should Identify an MSc course at either LSHTM or NEKKEN that you would like to study, but do not apply to the university.
2) Applicants should ensure you are eligible for the MSc course and ALN Scholarship. Please note NEKKEN applicants must have a medical qualification.
3) Applicants must register to create an account with ALN . You must have an account before you can apply.
4) Log in to download the application form. Complete and submit the application form by 30th September 2016. No supporting documentation is required at this stage.
5) Applications will be considered by a selection committee and four candidates will be offered Scholarships by mid February 2017.
6) Successful candidates to apply for the MSc course at the specified university by 31st March 2017.
7) Scholarship awardees that are given a place at university start their MSc course in September 2017 at LSHTM and October 2017 at NEKKEN.
The application deadline is on 30th September 2016
For more information visit the Scholarship Webpage