An article was published in the Vanguard newspaper dated 27th December 2014 regarding the state of University Nigeria Nsukka. The article which made a comparison between the University of Ghana and the University of Nigera, Nsukka revealed some shocking differences.
While the former was relatively a conducive learning environment with
the necessary amenities that an institution of such standard should
have, the latter being the University of Nigeria Nsukka was a direct
According to the article, multitude of Uncompleted projects littered
everywhere, grasses had Turned to bushes and hedges were untrammeled,
free and wild. Many buildings were pale, washed and battered. Hostels
were in shambles .
The Enugu campus that houses faculties of Law and Medicine has no pipe
borne water. The state of the toilet facilities in Enugu campus can only
A chat with some female students of that campus revealed that students have buckets for defecating.
They defecate in the open, along the toilet corridor, many at a time,
facing themselves, into buckets and hurl the contents afterward into the
toilet Bowls, leaving trails of feces for the cleaners who come when
they wish to effect as much cleaning as they can.
The buckets are subsequently rinsed with scarce water ,which they have
to buy , and kept in the rooms until when again needed. Those who cannot
stand the bucket idea defecate into polythene bags and fling them onto a
heap behind the hostels.
That heap has survived generations . Its pathetic.
An Alumni exists but the atrocity has persisted.
The Vice chancellors residence is state of the art,
new. The vice chancellor has managed to ensconce himself in five star
comfort while students are dehumanized . Don't ask me who is being
groomed there. Perhaps pit toilets , since they cannot have water, may
actually restore some dignity.
Its that bad. Students learning early how to be wild. The school’s
internet network system functions so abysmally slowly that I could not
use it . Lecturers and students can hardly do meaningful online
researches in that remote location. A senior lecturer told me she sends
articles to foreign journals using her blackberry phone. That is the
story of Nigeria .
And ironically the school’s motto reads: To restore the dignity of man.
Ghanas 2015 budget is 50 percent donor funded, Nigeria is rich and lives
on her own money. Legon is to a great extent insulated from political
and local administrative changes because Legon has a tradition.
A tradition that all must follow. That entrenched
tradition is the institution. So while projects in
Legon are completed before others are started,
and buildings are repainted yearly, Nsukka is a
picture of haphazardness and planlessness.
An environment of order and good tradition will
culture , nurture and instill order and virtue in
young minds but if you sow disorder , you will
Often Nigerian academics sneer at the politicians
claiming they are superficial, flimsy, selfish,
shortsighted and wasteful. But Nsukka indicts Our
And Its not just about funding. And Nsukka is not alone ,other public
universities are perhaps worse. Nsukka is a reflection of our society
.University of Ghana indicts all of us. And we shamelessly now troop
there in droves in search of better tertiary education for our children.
ENGLISH & NEWS LINK
- POEMS PAGE
- African Poetic Analysis
- Non-African Poetic Analysis
- English Idiom You Must Know
- HOW TO STUDY
- WAEC Literature Syllabus 2016-2020
- Read The Summary Of The Purple Hibiscus
- READ THE BEST POEMS ON OUR POEM and e-LIBRARY
- 2016 JAMB REGISTRATION
- READ THE FAMOUS NOVELS
- JAMB: Answer these 26 possible questions from Last Days at Forcados High School
- LEARN ENGLISH IDEOMS
- JAMB SUBJECTS ON EACH COURSE
- Figures of Speech ( stylistic devices )
- Overall summary of the Potter’s Wheel by Chukwuemeka Ike and The Successors by Jerry Adaga
- EDUCATION TIPS
- LIST OF NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES/POLYTECHNIC AND THEIR CURRENT SCHOOL FEES
- CLICK TO ENTER NEUB EXAMS CLASS ROOM
- Read Literature Objectives Questions and Answers
- Biology Objectives Questions And Answers
- JAMB CBT Possible Questions On Commerce
- The Possible Questions From The Last Days at Forcados High School You Must Know
- Characters In The Book "Last Days at Forcados High School"
- CLICK TO READ GOVERNMENT PASS QUESTIONS HERE
- CLICK TO READ PHYSICS PASS QUESTIONS
- CLICK TO READ C.R.K PASS QUESTIONS
- READ ECONOMICS PASS QUESTIONS
- READ ENGLISH PASS QUESTIONS AND ANWERS
- READ GEOGRAHY PASS QUESTIONS AND ANWERS
- CLICK TO READ CHEMISTRY PASS QUESTIONS